Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Baby Storytime–Cows

I've decided to slightly restructure my baby storytimes this session. The structure I was using worked, but I realized it could definitely be better.

My first big change is that I have decided to theme each of my storytimes. While I love just picking my favorite books of the week for toddlers and preschoolers, I definitely think babies work better on a theme. This gives parents a specific thing to focus on and it makes conversation a little easier.

I also decided to start including more flannel pieces. Each week, I introduce the theme by using the "Shape Game". I also do a nursery rhyme flannel each week. So without further ado...

Check out what my typical storytime looks like here. All the words to my songs and rhymes can be found here

Opening Song
Welcome Song

Opening Rhyme/Movement
Hands are Clapping

Early Literacy Tip
We use repetition a lot in storytime. Each week we will be following the same basic structure and change the books we read. Repetition is a great way to help your baby learn. They will begin to anticipate what comes next and feel empowered.  By the end of the 5 week session you will notice your little one doing the motions to songs and babbling when we are singing. It's an awesome thing to see!

Shape Game!
Today, I hid a cow under the blue square. This game is a fun to introduce your theme and you can find out about it here.
 
Rhyme/Movement
Itsy-Bitsy Spider

Book
Do Cows Meow by Salina Yoon
This book is fabulous. All of her books are fabulous. Seriously, buy them all.

Rhyme/Movement
Row, Row, Row Your Boat 

Rhyme/Movement
Roly-Poly

Book
Farm Animals by Simms Taback
This book has huge fold -out animals in it. The "clues" are extremely easy and it is perfect for babies.

Rhyme/Movement
Giddy-up, Giddy-up

Rhyme/Movement
Pat-A-Cake

Nursery Rhyme
Humpty Dumpty

The parents were not as excited about this as I expected them to be. Perhaps I did a poor explanation of why we are doing nursery rhymes? I will try again next week. I found this fabulous idea at Storytimes with Moxie. She sadly does not blog anymore, but she has some great flannel pieces posted.











Choral Reading
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.

Egg Shakers
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
Baa, Baa, Black Sheep 

Rhyme/Movement
Zoom, Zoom, Zoom

Playtime!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...