Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Baby Storytime – Monkeys

Check out what my typical storytime looks like here. All the words to my songs and rhymes can be found here.

Opening Song
Welcome Song

Opening Rhyme/Movement
Hands are Clapping

Early Literacy Tip
Repetition is so important for little ones. One of the reasons we sing the same songs and follow the same schedule each week is because it gives children a sense of security in knowing what will happen next. You'll notice that when I stand up and turn to the table a lot of them run up to me. It's because they know Brown Bear, Brown Bear is about to happen! Or if we skip Itsy-Bitsy spider, a baby will always let me know before storytime ends. Keep in mind that when you're drastically changing their normal schedule (for vacation, a party, travelling, etc) it can affect their behavior and mood.

**The last sentence was actually said by a parent who is also a teacher. She felt like it was important to note with the upcoming holidays (this was right before Thanksgiving).**

Shape Game
Today, I hid a monkey! You can find out about this game here.

Rhyme/Movement
Roly-Poly

Book
Monkey & Me by Emily Gravett
This is such a wonderful book and it's full of repetition. I tell parents the chant before I start the book so they'll do it with me. 

Rhyme/Movement
Giddy-up, Giddy-up

Rhyme/Movement
Row, Row, Row Your Boat

Book
Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell
Pop-up books are always a winner in storytime. I wish the pictures were bigger though! I really need to make this into a flannel story like this amazing one. I also have everyone say, "No thank you!" when we send back our animals.

Rhyme/Movement
This is Big

Rhyme/Movement
Where is Thumbkin

Choral Reading
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.

Egg Shakers
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
Baa, Baa, Black Sheep 

Rhyme/Movement
Zoom, Zoom, Zoom

Playtime!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...