Wednesday, July 13, 2016

The Top 5 Reasons I Haven't Been Blogging

It has been a long time since I last blogged! Feeling inspired by Abby the Librarian's blog post, I decided to confess my blogging sins rather than continuing to feel guilty about it. Here are five of the things that are keeping me away from this blog:

Our updated summer reading game!
We had a Paw Patrol program! We expected 75 in
attendance and ended up with 175. It was chaos.

1. We are short staffed. We're all just trying to keep our heads above water after losing a professional position last year, being without a manager for six months, and having another professional position leave in May. Luckily our new manager started in February and the second professional position will be getting replaced after summer.







2. It is Summer Reading. We are taking a less intensive approach this year, but the sheer volume of people in the room make it impossible to accomplish any extra tasks.

A baby boy!

3. I am 9 months pregnant. If you decide to start a family at any point in your career, I recommend trying to plan it so your 8-9 months don't happen during summer for both your and your coworkers' sanity. I literally pep talk myself out of the car most mornings and my 5pm self leaves out candy for my next day 8:30am self. Candy helps.


 
A fabulous summer reading performer who showed up with the flu.
It was the most intense hour as I waited to see if he would actually vomit on kids.
Do you have a plan for if your performer starts puking?
4. Program attendance is at an all time high! This is so great for us and our library, but it has made us have to rethink our approach to programming for such huge numbers. Hopefully next year we will figure out a way to make programs more manageable with such big groups, while making sure we provide the best service possible to our non-camp groups.


My storytimes help get me through the day!




5. My desk time has almost doubled in the past couple of months. A necessary thing that takes place in the summer, but it's hitting a little harder this year for all of the reasons above.
    These are all my excuses for not getting regularly scheduled posts to you. Hopefully once I am recovering on maternity leave I will be able to finally pay attention to those posts that have been languishing in drafts.

    Like Abby, I'm also going to recommend that you check out Bryce's series of Summer Reading Hype Videos. I watch them regularly when I feel like I can't possibly make it another hour in the day. I hope everyone is surviving this summer and I can't wait to hear all about everyone else's fun summer adventures!

5 comments:

  1. I read about LPL's changes to SRP (because I am a creeper) and I am so excited about all of them!

    Also: you are a CHAMP. You have so much on your plate and I am CERTAIN that even though you're feeling overwhelmed, you are handling it with the style and grace of a Disney princess somehow because you're just the best and probably magic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOLIDARITY, SISTER. I'm sorry that you are also overwhelmed, but thank you for sharing about it. It is so nice to know that I am not all alone. *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stay strong and take care of yourself! I think most of us library folks are helpers by nature and we want to do everything for everyone because we care deeply about our communities, but the reality is that we're no good to anyone if we aren't able to take care of ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, and good luck with the excitement of your new addition! Is there a link you could send me to get more info on your Summer Reading Game?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...