Thursday, December 27, 2012

Pyramid of the Lost World by Sandra Page


This chapter book had me turning the pages all night! I am usually not a big reader of historical fiction. For whatever reason, I have always been more curious about other book genres. However, when I read the premise for this book I decided to give it a chance. I am very happy with my decision to get out of my reading genre box!

Carly and her best friend Zoe, are accompanying Carly's mother on an archaeologist dig in Guatemala for the whole summer! The girls are excited to help, but soon realize all they're allowed to do is sweep with brooms. Early one morning, Carly luckily finds a priceless artifact that belongs to the Maya civilization. However, Carly feels an uncomfortable chill when the statue is unearthed. The reader soon finds out that everything begins to go downhill after the arrival of the statue.

This book is action-packed! With short chapters, readers will find themselves flying through the pages. This book would be great for ages 7 and up. The book is simple and short enough to appeal to younger readers, while the weaving of historical facts about the Maya civilization will keep older readers interested. 

I really enjoyed this historical chapter book. I personally learned all kinds of facts about the Maya civilization! The book includes an author's note at the end explaining more about the Maya culture and history. This is the first novel in the series, so I'm excited to see where we'll find Carly next. I'd recommend this purchase to a library where historical or action series are popular.

Pyramid of the Lost World: A Maya Adventure Story is available now!

Review copy provided by the publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...