Saturday, November 10, 2012

YA Review: Survive by Alex Morel

Looking for a young adult book about depression, dysfunctional families, plane crashes, or love? I have just the book for you.

Survive by Alex Morel is a young adult novel that is packed with action. In the very beginning of the book we are introduced to Jane and soon learn she is planning on killing herself. Due to her current circumstances, living in a mental hospital, she decides the best time to put the plan into action is in the bathroom of the plane she's flying home in. Of course, there is an obnoxious boy sitting next to her on the plane which just seals the deal that she's making the right decision. Everything is on track for the plan when she enters the bathroom and begins to take the pills. Then, the plane crashes and everything changes.

This is a quick read, and once you get past the first 50 pages, you are on edge the rest of the book. I personally enjoyed this book because I found myself genuinely caring if the protagonist was going to make it out alive. She has been dealt a rough hand and is slightly difficult to relate to, but I bet you'll find yourself rooting for her in the end too.

This is a wonderful survival story for both guys and girls. I know some of my male teens are put off by female protagonists, but I could definitely convince them to give this one a try.  I'd give this book to any teen who is looking for a Hatchet type book. I also think this book would be liked by dystopian fans.  For my teen readers who always want a love story, well this book has a little of that too.  Remember the annoying boy? He's the only other survivor.

Survive is available now!

Book provided by my library

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...