Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Baby Storytime – Cats

Check out what my typical storytime looks like here. All the words to my songs and rhymes can be found here.

Opening Song
Welcome Song

Opening Rhyme/Movement
Hands are Clapping

Early Literacy Tip
I forgot to give a tip today and didn't realize it until the end of storytime. I started throwing out books for playtime and a parent said, "Miss Brooke, what about our fun fact?" I LOVE that there are some parents who are genuinely listening for the fun fact each week. It definitely made my heart grow a little.

Sing to your baby everyday. Whether it's about how you haven't slept in 24 hours, what you're cooking, or where you're going- sing about it. Children love to be sung to and your voice is the most soothing thing to them. The great thing about babies is that they don't judge you on how out of key you are! (I always use myself as an example of a non-stellar singer.)

Shape Game
Today, I hid a cat! You can find out about this game here.

This game was starting to get out of control with my little ones. They all immediately run up and point and grab and shriek at each other. While I love that they love it so much, something definitely needed to change. I've tried some recommended strategies from others, but nothing seemed to work for me.

Then, I decided to just hold the shapes up one at a time, put them on the board, and then flip them over before I moved on to my next shape. This finally seemed to click with my groups. Now everyone still runs up to the board, but there isn't really an opportunity to pull it off. I also knock twice on the shape before turning it over. No idea why I started doing this, but now everyone knocks with me so I can't stop it.

Rhyme/Movement
Where is Thumbkin

Book
What Will Fat Cat Sit On? by Jan Thomas
This book is so funny. The parents were cracking up at this. While the humor is a little too mature for the babies, it is still a great book to talk about animals and animal sounds with. Plus, I love when the parents really get into a book with me!

Rhyme/Movement
Giddy-up, Giddy-up

Rhyme/Movement
Row, Row, Row Your Boat

Book
Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes
Almost everyone who has a child knows who Pete the Cat is. It was great to introduce him to my brand new parents! I clipped this book so Pete only stepped in two things.

Rhyme/Movement
This is Big

Choral Reading
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.

Egg Shakers
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
Baa, Baa, Black Sheep 

Rhyme/Movement
Zoom, Zoom, Zoom

Playtime!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...