Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Baby Storytime – Peek A Boo

Check out what my typical storytime looks like here. All the words to my songs and rhymes can be found here.

Opening Song
Welcome Song

Opening Rhyme/Movement
Hands are Clapping

Early Literacy Tip
I had a 4 month old in my infant class who was very upset when his mom played peek-a-boo. So, I briefly talked about "object permanence" and why it was important for a baby to develop it. I had a mom come back the next week and told me she spent an hour researching it after storytime!

In my baby storytime, I focused on different ways to play with hiding objects. You can show part of the monkey and see if they can find it under the shape. Then, try to hide it completely and see if they can still find it. I have an almost 2 year-old in my class who has figured out that it is always the shape farthest from me. She immediately runs up and points to it when I show them the shape game. I love when my babies give me real world examples!

Shape Game
Today, I hid a monkey playing peek-a-book! You can find out about this game here.

Rhyme/Movement
Roly-Poly


Book
Peek-a-Boo What by Begin Smart Books
This is a short board book with lift the flap pages. This is one of my favorites and hasn't failed me yet!

Rhyme/Movement
Itsy-Bitsy Spider

Rhyme/Movement
Giddy-up, Giddy-up

Book
Peekaboo Morning

This book is a little too long for babies so I clipped a few pages. We all played peek-a-boo while reading this book.

Rhyme/Movement
This is Big

Rhyme/Movement
Where is Thumbkin

Rhyme/Movement
Row, Row, Row Your Boat

Choral Reading
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.

Egg Shakers
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
Baa, Baa, Black Sheep  

Rhyme/Movement
Zoom, Zoom, Zoom

Playtime!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...