Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Baby Storytime-Flowers

Check out what my typical storytime looks like here. All the words to my songs and rhymes can be found here.

Opening Song
Welcome Song

Opening Rhyme/Movement
Hands are Clapping

Early Literacy Tip
I have a list of all of the songs printed out in the back today. Feel free to grab a sheet on your way out. Singing is a great way to develop your little one's vocabulary and it's a great way to distract them when they get upset.

Shape Game!

Today, I hid a flower under the star. You can find out about this game here.

Rhyme/Movement
Row, Row, Row, Your Boat

Book
Big Yellow Sunflower by Frances Barry
This book is excellent! Even though the title gives away the surprise at the end, the babies loved how big and bright it was. Definitely practice holding this book before you use it in storytime.

Rhyme/Movement
Itsy-Bitsy Spider


Rhyme/Movement
Where is Thumkin?

Book
One Little Seed by Elaine Greenstein
This is a short book with some great vocabulary. Little ones can also play along as you are reading the book. (dig a hole, plant the seed, etc)


Rhyme/Movement
Giddy-up, Giddy-up

Rhyme/Movement
Pat-A-Cake

Nursery Rhyme
Little Bo Peep
My babies love the flannel rhymes now! All of the little ones who could walk, came up to me as I was doing it today. The majority of the parents are now repeating the rhymes with me too. I even heard parents saying nursery rhymes before storytime this week!



** I found this wonderful pattern at Jen in the Library who shared the great resource Mother Goose's playhouse :  toddler tales and nursery rhymes, with patterns for puppets and feltboards by Judy Sierra. My library had a copy! It's a great resource to find flannel pieces and get inspiration.**

Choral Reading
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr. 
The babies have figured out the sequence of events in storytime and know when this is coming. I usually walk around the circle to hand out the books, but this week I had over half of the babies run up to me to get their book first. I also had multiple parents tell me they sing this every night to their baby.

Egg Shakers
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
Baa, Baa, Black Sheep 

Rhyme/Movement
Zoom, Zoom, Zoom

Playtime!
As I went to grab the toys this week, I had to push the flannel nursery rhyme pieces to the side. Two babies screamed and clapped when I touched the sheep. So of course, I did the nursery rhyme about 5 more times.

This was our last storytime for the session. I'm sad to see them go, but it has been a fabulous storytime session. I love seeing how much they've grown and matured in the short 5 weeks they've been coming to storytime. Whether it's doing the motions to Roly-Poly or simply holding a board books and turning the pages, I always point out to parents how proud they should be of their babies and themselves for being such fabulous parents!

I'm already excited for my Fall storytime sessions!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...