Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Baby Storytime – Flying

Check out what my typical storytime looks like here. All the words to my songs and rhymes can be found here

Opening Song
Welcome Song

Opening Rhyme/Movement
Hands are Clapping

Early Literacy Tip
Talking during stories is so important with little ones. If your baby loves a certain page on a book, then stay on that page. Talk about what you see on the page, what is happening, the colors you see, or anything you want to talk about. You want your baby to have fun reading!

Shape Game!



Today, I hid a bird under the triangle. Originally I had two bird books, but I decided I wanted to use Higher, Higher at the last minute. You can find out about this game here.

Rhyme/Movement
Roly Poly

Book
Flip, Flap, Fly by Phyllis Root
This book is a little long, so I clipped quite a bit. The babies were really interested in the flannel board today and kept rubbing their hands, faces, and heads all over it while I was reading.

Rhyme/Movement
Row, Row, Row Your Boat 

Rhyme/Movement
Where is Thumkin?

Book
Higher, Higher by Leslie Patricelli
This author definitely knows how to write a baby book. My little ones were in love with this and the parents read the words with me. We stopped on each page to talk about what our friend could see in her swing. The alien high-five was definitely the crowd favorite.

Rhyme/Movement
Giddy-up, Giddy-up

Rhyme/Movement
Pat-A-Cake

Nursery Rhyme
Little Bo Peep
My parents have definitely bought into this now. Everyone said the rhyme with me and some even played peek-a-boo with their little ones. Plus, I had little kids sitting in front of the flannel board waiting to feel the sheep.










** I found this wonderful pattern at Jen in the Library who shared the great resource Mother Goose's playhouse :  toddler tales and nursery rhymes, with patterns for puppets and feltboards by Judy Sierra. My library had a copy! It's a great resource to find flannel pieces and get inspiration.**

Choral Reading
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr. 
I noticed quite a few parents stayed on certain pages rather than following along. It was great to see them talking to their child about the duck, sheep, etc. It was also nice to see that they really were listening to the tip!

Egg Shakers
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
Baa, Baa, Black Sheep 

Rhyme/Movement
Zoom, Zoom, Zoom

Playtime!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...